Abigail Worthy is a character I developed for my play, Another Mother, which had its world premiere performance at The Essential Theatre Festival in Atlanta, GA, August 2017. The story serialized here covers roughly five years in her life, starting with her going to college in Portland, Oregon and ending with her acceptance into medical school in Atlanta, Georgia and slightly beyond.
Most of these segments were written within 24-hours of being posted between May and July of 2016. They are rough outlines of the story as it existed in my head at that time. Much of the story has evolved as a result of work I did getting Another Mother ready for production, and other developments, such as publication of the story collection Atlanta Stories: Fables of the New South, and the novel Rebecca, Too, in 2017 and 2018 respectively. The finished product will incorporate the larger story of Abigail, her mother Rhiannon and aunts, Regan and Rosalind, and her cousin Genevieve Duchard. Since posting these, the “expanded universe” which encompasses fictional Atlanta I’ve developed has expanded considerably.
The final piece, Worthy 51, was written after the play and represents the new direction I’m moving with the story.
- Abigail & Rhiannon
- Rhiannon’s Family
- The Worthys Drop in on Elspeth
- Rhiannon Learns She’s Pregnant
- Rhiannon & Abigail Meet with Elspeth
- Abigail Encounters Neil at School
- Neil’s Band
- Abigail Tells Neil How They’re Connected
- Abigail Meets Her Father
- Daniel Confronts Abigail & Neil
- Road Trip to Visit Jillian
- Abigail Meets Jillian
- Visit with Jillian Concludes
- Jillian Phones Abigail
- Rhiannon & Genevieve Meet Neil
- Abigail & Jillian Hang Out
- Jillian Coaches Abigail and Abigail Gets Some Bad News
- Rhiannon in the hospital.
- Rhiannon wakes up
- Abigail & Rhiannon with the band
- Abigail goes on a date
- Rhiannon decides to return home
- Abigail prepares to graduate
- Abigail and Lauren discuss their relationship
- Abigail graduates
- Abigail’s DNA Study
- Abigail Phones Her Cousin Barbara
- Rosalind talks to Abigail about Genevieve
- Rosalind dies
- Abigail gets Genevieve’s DNA results
- Abigail confronts Rhiannon
- Abigail and Genevieve review her DNA results
- Genevieve graduates
- Abigail & Genevieve arrive in Atlanta
- Abigail & Genevieve get settled in Atlanta
- Genevieve meets her biological mother
- The cousins regroup after a tense encounter
- Abigail meets her older brother
- Leah and Alyssa make Abigail an offer
- Abigail makes an important decision about her future
- Abigail moves to Atlanta
- Abigail and Genevieve run into a friend from Seattle
- Alyssa goes into labor at a band show
- Abigail meets with a recruiter to find a job
- Abigail worries about Genevieve’s reaction to her employer
- Abigail’s new job
- Abigail meets someone
- Gloria meets the band
- Abigail helps Steven with a project
- Abigail prepares for medical school
- The Phone Call
Abigail Worthy, 18 at the start of the story, a biology (pre-med) student from Seattle, WA.
Rhiannon Worthy, 44 at the start of the story, Abigail’s mother.
Genevieve Duchard, 16 when she joins the story, Abigail’s cousin.
Neil Hawkins, 18 at the start of the story, Abigail’s half-brother.
Other characters include Daniel Hawkins, a neurosurgeon and Neil & Abigail’s father, Elspeth (Armstrong) Hawkins, Neil’s mother, Jillian and Daniel (Winn) Hawkins, Jr. Neil’s siblings, Rosalind Duchard, Abigail’s aunt, Leah Walker and Alyssa Caine, two sisters connected to Genevieve, from Atlanta.
The earliest sections are set in Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA, but as the story goes on, the action will move to Atlanta,GA.
Here’s a mock-up of the cover art.